Walworth County Housing Authority - Affordable Community Housing, Inc.

(262) 723-6123     (262) 723-2079         Apply for Wait List

Walworth County Housing Authority - Affordable Community Housing, Inc.

Landlord FAQs & Information

Landlord Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I rent to a participant?

The Housing Choice Voucher program is a good option for landlords who want security. The majority of the rent will be paid directly by the Housing Authority every month. The balance of the rent will be paid by the tenant.

Should the landlord screen the family?

 It is the landlord’s responsibility to screen the family. The Housing Authority does not screen a family other than to determine if the family’s income allows them to participate in the Section 8 Program. Landlords should use the same criteria to screen families participating in the Section 8 program as they would any other prospective tenant. The same rejection criteria should also be applied.

What do you look for during an inspection?

The Housing Quality Standards are established by the federal Department of Housing and Urban Development. HUD requires that all assisted units meet this minimum standard to ensure the unit is decent, safe and sanitary. All things in the unit should be working and operable, as designed. Most units in good repair should meet this minimum standard and pass the inspection. All systems in the unit should be operable and in sound condition, including electrical, plumbing, lighting, windows, doors, floors, roofs, etc.

How are Housing Assistance Payments determined?

The tenant is eligible for a subsidy based on family income, income (allowable) deductions, the number of members in the family, and the size of the dwelling unit. The Housing Authority will enter into a contract with the owner/manager in order to make the monthly rental payments. The tenant is responsible for the remaining portion of the rent that exceeds the subsidy. The tenant portion should not be a burden on the tenant, and must not exceed 40% of his/her adjusted gross monthly income.

Can the tenant pay extra?

The tenant cannot, nor should they be asked to pay additional monies outside of the lease agreement and contract. This violates program rules and guidelines and subjects both parties to termination from the program.

What are owner rights & responsibilities?

Owners have the same rights under the Voucher program as they do under a standard rental agreement. The Housing Assistance Payments contract does require that landlords maintain their unit in a decent, safe and sanitary condition, and provide the required notice of any changes in the rental agreement, including the rent.

What if I want to raise the rent at the end of the lease period?

You must give the Housing Authority and the tenant a 60-day notice of a rent increase.

Could the tenant rent portion change?

Yes, the amount of rent the tenant pays is subject to change. The amount of assistance a tenant receives is based on their income. As their income fluctuates, a tenant's rent can also fluctuate. The participant and landlord will always be provided with a minimum of thirty (30) day notice of a change in the tenant rent share. If the tenant's rent share goes up or down, the amount of the rent you receive from the Housing Authority will also change so that you still receive the total agreed upon rent.

HUD Housing Choice Voucher Landlord Newsletter

HUD Housing Choice Voucher Landlord Newsletter Q2

Fair Housing Act

HCV Landlord Resources

Housing Survey: Multi-Unit


Walworth County Housing Authority
Affordable Community Housing, Inc.
20 N Church Street, Suite 1
Elkhorn, WI 53121


(262) 723-6123
(262) 723-2079


Mon-Fri 8:30AM-4:30PM

Equal Housing Opportunity

Copyright © Walworth County Housing Authority. All Rights Reserved.

Website by Badgerland Marketing